Without a theatre or a technical team there would be no performance. A backstage team is vital to any show, gig, festival or event. This course equips you with the skills and knowledge needed to be part of this essential team within the performing arts industry. Whatever technical aspect you are interested in - lighting, sound, stage management or front of house - this course gives you the opportunity to experience them all.
In Year 1, you develop your technical theatre skills, this includes lighting, sound, stage management and front of house. You have the opportunity to put these skills into practice by taking on a range of practical roles in a live setting and becoming part of a production team.
You also develop and create your own installation that showcases your technical skills, creativity and teamwork.
In Year 2, you continue to develop your technical skills and knowledge, specialising in an area of your choice. You work on a range of projects and live performances, concluding with a final major project. You are given more responsibility and take on more senior roles within the production team.
On completing this course, you are able to apply for university or drama school or go into an entry level role in the industry.
Throughout both years, you work with students from other disciplines to put on a range of performances - some in our own theatre space and others at venues across Liverpool. You also benefit from workshops delivered by industry professionals.
- Provide regular technical support for performances in our 100-seat Willy Russell Studio
- Experience working with industry-standard technical theatre equipment
- Collaborate with the Design for Performance students to create a live installation showcasing your work
- Experience trips to regional and national arts venues, theatres and galleries
- Work alongside students from other disciplines to put on a range of performances throughout the year
- Experience working in a live theatre environment that replicates the professional industry
- Benefit from industry-experienced tutors who have a wealth of technical knowledge and performance experience and are still active in the industry
Skills to be developed
Front of House
- Venue Management
Lighting & Sound
Research & Context
- Production design from text
- Presentation & portfolio building
- Scheduling, Logistics & Budgeting of a production
- Show Calling & Management of the rehearsal room
- Prop Sourcing/Making
What our students go on to do
Students who have recently graduated from our Technical Theatre course have gone on to study at:
- Guildhall School of Music & Drama
- Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts
- Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts
- Rose Bruford
- Royal Birmingham Conservatoire
We offer a range of enrichment activities alongside your studies, which vary from year to year depending on our students' interests. Previous enrichment activities have included directing, scriptwriting, our weekly lunchtime gigs the Soundcheck Sessions, knitting club, theatre special effects makeup, LGBTQ club, choir and football.
Did you know?
- 93% of Technical Theatre students progressed onto higher education with 7% progressing to Conservatoires in 2019.
- 50% of Technical Theatre students progressed onto LIPA’s BA (Hons) Theatre & Performance Technology course in 2019.
How do I apply?
We usually hold in person auditions and interviews for our courses. Providing there are no pandemic-related restrictions during the application process from September 2022, we will continue to hold in person auditions and interviews during February and March 2023 for September 2023 entry.
The details of what applicants are asked to do can be found below, to help you prepare in advance of your presentation and interview.
Presentations and interviews are held in February and March, and decision letters are sent out in April.